Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pack the Bags, No Don't, Hello Ford!

I popped up Monday, September 30th, and had the "I feel different" feeling but adamantly denied it to anyone and everyone.  Had my weekly appointment, no significant change and scheduled my induction for the following Tuesday (October 8th) at 38 weeks.  Since I had gestational diabetes, we could pull the baby early and my doctor was heading to Hawaii (LUCKY).  I went back to work, called Austin and could hear the disappointment in his voice.  He wanted this baby here NOW.  We had lunch together then 1:30 PM hit, and it hit hard.  I noticed contractions were coming fairly regularly (every 4-6 minutes), but SURELY I could get rid of them with a big glass of water.  Nope.  Then, it wasn't very comfortable to walk, so I sat in my chair and texted Austin.  I think it went something like "DO NOT SAY A WORD TO ANYONE, but why don't you pack the bags".   I promised him (and my mother) I would walk over (since I work at the hospital) to L&D if they were still happening at 3:30.  Out of fear that my co-workers would find out I had another false alarm, I willed the contractions away.

When I got home, the house was perfect, bags were packed and the lawn was mowed.  Oops.  So, I suggested we WALK to dinner and Austin should have a beer (or two).  It was a beautiful Lubbock evening and off we went.  Towards the end of dinner I noticed contractions, but didn't say a word and brushed them off.  We WALK home and it hit at 23rd and Elgin (our house, thank GOD).  I abandoned my 18 month old in his stroller and walked inside to get away from the world.  Austin still gives me a hard time.  Nosey, nosey found my phone while I was taking my evening bath and noticed my contractions were about 2 minutes apart.  Oops.  He begged and pleaded with me to just go to L&D.  FINE.

We pack Jack up, drop him off at Ashley's and walked into the hospital at 7:45 pm.  I get pushed back to the room with curtains and two other soon to be moms, who are there with false alarms and the doctor didn't seem amused.  Austin was THRILLED.  His job was done, he got me to the hospital and could relax.  He was not in the baby delivering business.  Turns out, I was indeed in labor and needed to get to a room ASAP/ never should have walked to dinner.

Called my parents, they were already on the road.  I guess they figured it was the real deal.

After a couple of passing out spells, I was told it was go time! Eight minutes later, we had a baby BOY!

Ford Stiles Franklin was born at 12:07 AM October 1, 2013!  He weighed 6 lb. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long.




Post passing out...The towel did wonders 
Job well done, Franklin.  You got me to the hospital.
That means I should have been at the hospital earlier. 
Meeting our newest member (notice Austin)




I got my October baby!


Nick and Nan arrived at 1:45 am to meet Ford!

No comments:

Post a Comment